|Friends||The Queen of Hearts|
The Playing Cards are characters in the novel Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. They are playing cards with a human head, arms and legs. They are loyal servants as well as guards for the Queen of Hearts. It is explained in the book that the spades are gardeners, clubs are soldiers, diamonds are courtiers, and hearts are members of the royal family.
Alice's Adventures in WonderlandEdit
Alice first meets three cards (the 2, 5 and 7 of Spades) in the Queen's garden painting white roses red. One of them explains that they accidentally planted white roses, and because the queen hates white roses they have to paint them red or the Queen will behead them. After the Queen arrives, she finds white roses and orders the execution of all three of them. Alice hides these 3 in a flowerpot, after this their fate is unknown. When Alice joins a game of croquet with the Queen and the other playing cards, the card soldiers act as arches. They have to leave being arches every time the Queen has an executioner drag the victim away. They also appear in the trial where the Knave of Hearts is accused of stealing the Queen's tarts. In the book, the clubs are soldiers, the diamonds are courtiers, the spades are gardners, and the hearts are children.
- They also appear in the 1951 animated film as playing cards with masks shaped like card symbols that match their spears and gloves. They also march as they chase Alice even over the hedges of the labyrinth.
- They appear in the 2010 film as playing cards with red armor that covers their body, masks and shoulder plates shaped like hearts, and spears with tips shaped like hearts. There are no cards of spades, clovers or diamonds, for only cards of hearts appear in this film. They are called "Red Knights".
- They appear in the video game American McGee's Alice where they carry axes and bow guns.
- In the novel The Looking Glass Wars, they appear as robots with their outer layer shaped as cards and spears. They can fly while in card form and can walk as well as spear in soldier form. They work for Queen Redd, the main antagonist of the series.
- In the otome game "Heart no Kuni no Alice", they are humans with card-marked uniforms that have different numbers for each servant and british hats. There appear to be female versions of these as well.
Alice in Wonderland (1951)Edit
Alice in Wonderland (2010)Edit
Alice ❖ The Mad Hatter ❖
The White Rabbit ❖ The Queen of Hearts ❖ The King of Hearts